Pages

Monday, November 14, 2011

Modern Day Passover Reflections

Two years ago today marks the day everything I knew changed. I am now in the middle of my own form of a "Passover," it started on Thursday and ends this coming Thursday officially. I forgot about it until I laid down to sleep on Thursday night and the Lord kindly reminded me. I have been trying to be intentional in these days to be reflective, because there is so much value in taking the time to really reflect. The Lord makes this clear throughout the Old Testament through the feasts and celebrations He calls Israel to observe in memory of who He is and what He has done.

For me though today... today, November 14th, was the day that the Father told me to come to Clemson. For those who don't know the whole story, it can be found here or feel free to ask me sometime. But in many ways it was the day that all of my theology changed and at the same time just collided into what it always was and was supposed to be. It marks the day when my faith looked like something. A defining moment as to whether or not I would move when He told me to and do whatever He asks of me. The day when my faith became something to walk in and not just stand in. It's in this reflection when I sit and wonder at all the Lord has done in my life in the last two years, simply because I said yes. It's a reflection that comes down to the heart of Isaiah 6:8. Of the season that led me to the point where I would say yes.

I love that reflection of the past brings hope for the future. Deuteronomy 8 reflects this:
1 Be careful to follow every command I am giving you today, so that you may live and increase and may enter and possess the land the LORD promised on oath to your ancestors. 2 Remember how the LORD your God led you all the way in the wilderness these forty years, to humble and test you in order to know what was in your heart, whether or not you would keep his commands. 3 He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your ancestors had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD. 4 Your clothes did not wear out and your feet did not swell during these forty years. 5 Know then in your heart that as a man disciplines his son, so the LORD your God disciplines you. 6 Observe the commands of the LORD your God, walking in obedience to him and revering him. 7 For the LORD your God is bringing you into a good land—a land with brooks, streams, and deep springs gushing out into the valleys and hills; 8 a land with wheat and barley, vines and fig trees, pomegranates, olive oil and honey; 9 a land where bread will not be scarce and you will lack nothing; a land where the rocks are iron and you can dig copper out of the hills.
I love that in the memory is the promise - remember this because this is what the Lord is doing and what He has promised. I love that as the Lord lives outside of time, any "tense" of Him always points to and aligns with another tense. The "Lord of the past," or what He has done, points to Lord of the future and the Lord of the present. The "Lord of the present," or what He is doing, reflects both the Lord of the past and the future. The "Lord of the future," or what He will do and/or has planned, points to both the past and the present. So as I spend these days in reflection of what the Lord did in those 7 days two years ago and has done in the two years since then, it brings me joy in what He is doing today and brings me exuberant amounts of hope for what He has planned for me and what is to come in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment