Pages

Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Forward Thinking

I like to think. And not about small daily tasks but about big questions. I like to consider conversations that could take place, the what ifs of life, and dream big. Today as I was thinking big thoughts, I considered what I would tell people who may ask me, "Where do you see yourself in five years?" As a graduating senior, that presents a big thinking project and some good dreaming. I have a list of things that I hope to see happen in my life over the next five years. Dreams that I want to see come to fruition. But how do I answer that question the most honestly? How do I begin to introduce somebody to my dreaming plans without unraveling a lot more about my past, present and heart far beyond what they wish to hear? How in depth do they really want to know where I see myself? Do I even have the direction to give specific answers of where I could see myself? And the questions go on. So as I pondered this, I came upon this as my five year plan.
I will not be the same person in five years that I am today. I will have more knowledge, more experiences, more compassion, more love, and more life flowing through my veins than I do today. I will continue to be innovative. I will not have stopped growing. I will be more me than I am today as I continue to grow. I will be dreaming of the next ten years beyond that based on how far the last five had gotten me, or even the last moment has gotten me. I will be full of hope. I will be full of love. I will be full of grace and kindness. I will grow more and more into who I am so that I can help others become more themselves better; so that I can love and serve others better; so that I can be the best me that this world needs.  I will be on my way to changing the world. I will not grow complacent in any aspect of my life; I will be continuing to press onward, to grow more and better myself. 
Because, in reality, how many people as they leave college accurately predict their life five years down the road. Now, if highly regulated graduate school or career plans present a structure to follow, an individual may be able to predict better where they will be in their career in five years, but life happens. Everyday, life happens. The small things do not simply pass by unless an individual allows them to. And even still, more than likely some of those "small things" come back around down the line, for the better or worse. They impact your circumstances and can change the course of your life. Life happens every day, and I won't miss today's life out of worry or focus solely on tomorrow's. So perhaps my five year plan sounds vague or sounds like I don't have a plan or sounds like I don't dream, but it is just the opposite. I will not let life pass me by, but will seize moments and opportunities that will further this mission. I dream things bigger than reality or the limits of the mind. I do not constrain my dreams to the realm of practical life, but of a life that will literally change the world. My five year plan is one of dreams coming true and my paradigm of normal constantly changing and growing. "As a man thinks, so he is." Therefore, I think big things. I hope for great things. And I believe that nothing is impossible.

No comments:

Post a Comment